Theatre for an inclusive world
ArtStream seeks a part-time Assistant Director to support the artistic, production and acting teams of an ArtStream Inclusive Theatre Company. The Assistant Director supports the Director in rehearsals through creative input and actor management. The Assistant Director also performs in the production and assists actors with entrances and exits, props, and costume changes.
- Attend all rehearsals, production meetings, load-in, technical rehearsals, performances, strike, load-out, and post-production meeting.
- Work collaboratively with director and production team; assist with writing and/or editing of original script.
- Assist with and/or lead improvisation games and other activities in rehearsals.
- Support actors with disabilities; manage behavior as necessary.
- Monitor safe arrival/pick up of all actors.
- Perform as onstage mentor in final productions
- Report to Director.
ArtStream is a regional non-profit organization whose mission is to bring to individuals with disabilities creative and performance opportunities that help them gain the confidence to engage with the world. ArtStream has six Inclusive Theatre Companies that develop and produce original musicals each year based on the ideas and improvisations of the company’s 15 actors – adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities, autism, and other social and behavioral needs. A full production team and several onstage volunteer mentors lead and support the actors throughout the process. Directors and Assistant Directors use improv, role-play and other skill-based exercises to develop characters, a plot and an original script; and Music Directors and Choreographers contribute original music, lyrics and choreography. The six-month Inclusive Theatre season culminates in live public performances showcasing each actor’s unique talents and abilities. The Inclusive Theatre season is 26-weeks long with 24 two-hour weekly rehearsals; 3-4 technical rehearsals; and 4-6 performances. Schedules vary by location.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org