News & Events
SevenCarPileUp and ArtStream at the Barking Dog - Thanks for Joining Us!
Join us for a night of danceable new-wave hits with Bethesda cover band SevenCarPileUp at The Barking Dog in Bethesda, MD on Friday, May 20. Doors open at 6:00 pm, SevenCarPileUp takes the stage at 8:00 pm. Suggested donation at the door is $20. All proceeds will benefit ArtStream!
view flyer »
The Mystery of the Well at Discovery Theatre
Come join us at the Discovery Theatre on Saturday, May 21! Our Arlington Inclusive Company B will be presenting two performances of their Bollywood-style hit for VSA's Start With the Arts Festival. We are very excited for this opportunity to join forces with the great people at VSA and are thrilled at the chance to perform at the Smithsonian Institute's Discovery Theatre.
Please join us for more gangster capers, love potions and neon-hued dancing. Whether you've seen The Mystery ofthe Well once, twice or never - this is a performance you won't want to miss.
Find out more about VSA's Start With the Arts Festival. - Thanks to everyone for two great performances.
- Inclusive Revue with Autism NOW!
Congratulations to all of our actors on a great perfomance!
Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation Grant
ArtStream is the recipient of a 2010 Quality of Life Grant from the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation. The Quality of Life Grant will go to benefit ArtStream's Allies in the Arts program at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. We are extremely grateful for this grant from the Reeve Foundation and are proud to be a part of their efforts to benefit people living with paralysis.
More about Quality of Life Grantees »
Philanthroper.com - $1 Donations
Thanks to our friends at Philanthroper.com for spreading the word about ArtStream. ArtStream was the "deal of the day" for their $1 donation program on Monday, March 28.
So great to have the chance to introduce our work to people from around the county - what a great outpouring of support!
4th Annual Youth Arts & Action Summit - Saturday, March 12
Community Bridges, friends and neighbors of ArtStream hosted a summit of workshops and performances for young people, 4th grade and up, plus parents, teachers and community members. The Youth Arts & Actions Summit is designed to help people find their voice and speak up!
Society for the Arts in Healthcare Annual Conference
ArtStream's original film Knights of Glory has been selected for the Society for the Arts in Healthcare Film Festival at their 2011 annual conference. A segment from the audience favorite will be shown on the San Francisco Area PBS station as a testament to growing interested in "patient-centered arts."
Congratulations to Sally and everyone involved. We are very excited for this opportunity to get ArtStream's name out there.
more info about Knights of Glory »
- Join Country-Rockers Virginia Blend to Benefit ArtStream
Join ArtStream on Friday, February 18 at Velocity5 in Sterling, VA for a performance by Virginia Blend. Enjoy their Country-Rock mix of old favorites and new originals with some great food and drinks at Velocity5. Plus, a portion of the proceeds from the evening will benefit ArtStream!
Come enjoy dinner at Velocity5 starting at 5:00 pm. Virginia Blend goes on at 9:00 pm. Make sure to say you're there to support ArtStream!
view flyer »
Thanks to everyone who made it out for a great night!
Inclusive Theatre Company forming in Raleigh
ArtStream is excited to bring our innovative Inclusive Theatre Company program to the Triangle Area!
When: Tuesdays, February 15 - April 5, 2011 Time: 7:00 - 9:00 pm Place: Crocker's Mark Gallery (map)
613 W. Morgan St.
Contact: Sally at email@example.com
Inclusive Theatre Companies are designed for adults and teens with intellectual disabilities. We learn performance skills such as acting, improvisation, music, dance and creativity. An original script is developed through improvisation. The play is scripted, blocked and memorized by the actors. The final production is designed to showcase each actor's unique abilities.
view flyer »
download registration form »
Community Film Premiere - A New Kind of Listening
A New Kind of Listening is a powerful documentary about a young man with profound disabilities who joins an experimental theatre group to help create a compelling performance piece. It also deals intimately with this young man's lifelong struggle to be seen as a complete person - not just a "disabled person."
A New Kind of Listening is a part of the Inclusive Arts Campaign. The Campaign's hope is that screenings of this powerful documentary will help to lay the groundwork for inclusive arts projects wherever it is screened. Visit www.anewkindoflistening.com to see a trailer for the film and find out more!
Sally Kinka, an ArtStream co-founder and head of our North Carolina branch, was in attendence to talk about ArtStream's mission and about her newly forming Raleigh Inclusive Theatre Company. Sally also showed clips from the Gaithersburg Inclusive Company's 2009 production, A Mystery to Me.
When: Friday, January 28 Time: 7:00 - 8:00 pm Place: Pullen Memorial Baptist Church
1801 Hillsborough St.
Raleigh, NC 27605
Questions?: call Polly Medilicott
- Special Thanks and Best Wishes for the Holidays
Thanks to everyone who has joined us this month for our volunteering and fundraising efforts. Because of your goodwill and generosity we have had amazing successes with our Veterans Gift Giving Party, Barnes and Noble Giftwrapping Fundraiser, 12 Days of Giving appearance and Potomac Pizza event.
We are so grateful to our ArtStream family. You are the reason we are able to bring the power of the arts to all of our participants.
ArtStream wishes you and your loved ones the very best this holiday season and we hope that everyone has a wonderful New Year!
The LOOZA's are Back! - Thanks to Everyone Who Came Out for this Great Show
Arlington Inclusive Theatre Company will be remounting their 2009-2010 original musical HasBeenaLooza: The Benefit Concert for one performance only!
Saturday, October 16 at 3 pm
Paul VI Catholic High School Auditorium
10675 Fairfax Blvd.
Fairfax, VA 22030
Sponsored by Porto Charities Inc.
Admission is Free!
ArtStream's very own Nicolette Stearns is a proud graduate of the Leadership Montgomery program, Class of 2010!
Leadership Montgomery is a highly competitive networking and community development program that gives students hands-on study and a forum to discuss how to make Montgomery County a better place for communities, transportation, education, public safety, sustainability, multiculturalism, and the arts.
Nic has been invaluable to ArtStream's development and we're very proud of her accomplishments.
Take Me Out to the Ball Game
The Special Care Planning Team of The Washinton Group invites all ArtStream members, family and friends to Pfitzner Stadium June 19, 2010 for a minor league baseball game between the Potomac Nationals and the Lynchburg Hillcats. Admission is free when you RSVP and say you are with ArtStream!
Congratulations, Ermyn King
Ermyn King, Art Stream's Director Hospital and Hospice Programs, performs interactive storytelling for small groups of patients and family members at local hospitals. Recently, Ermyn's storytelling program was spotlighted in the Children's Inn Spring 2010 newsletter Innspirations.
"Through this wonderful medium, Inn residents are given the opportunity to experience empowerment and connect with heroes and heroines from traditional and cross-cultural tales."
- Innspirations, Spring 2010
- JUST RELEASED: Video Trailer for Knights of Glory
Written by Sally Kinka, Music by Daniel Villar
ArtStream is proud to present a glimpse of things to come! Watch the trailer below, a preview of ArtStream’s first full-length film, Knights of Glory. We will be broadcasting our film in episodes, on a special micro web site, exclusively for hospitalized children. They will be able to comment on the story and submit their own ideas. Please enjoy! (And watch for some of your favorite ArtStream faculty and staff members!)
- The 2009/10 Arlington Inclusive Theatre Company and Arlington Inclusive Actors Showcase present a double bill of Those Were The Days... and HasBeenalooza: The Benefit Concert March 25-27 and April 1-3. more info »
order a DVD » view flyer » view photos from Those Were The Days... and HasBeenaLooza: The Benefit Concert
- American Theatre Magazine: ArtStream was featured in the article "Full Specturm Access" in the January 2010 American Theatre Magazine. The article discusses autism and theater.
- We are pleased to announce the opening of our North Carolina branch. Located in the Raleigh/Durham area, ArtStream North Carolina is looking to begin its first Inclusive Performing Arts Classes for Teens and Adults of all abilities in the Summer of 2010. Classes are forming now. learn more »
- Look for a quote from co-founder Nicolette Stearns in the February issue of "Maryland Life Magazine". She adds her insight to the article "Healing through the Arts: Embracing theater as therapy"
- ArtStream is featured in the article "Full Specturm Access" in the January 2010 American Theatre Magazine. The article discusses autism and theater.
- Interactive Life Stories - Senior Drama Classes will be held at Reston Community Center Hunters Woods from January 15 - March 5, 2010. This spirited class for Seniors (55 and older) focuses on the basics of improvisation and character development through life experiences. more info »
- Classes are being offered at George Mason University for the Mason LIFE program from January 21 - May 6, 2010. Work on developing original material while honing your acting skills in this Scene development and theater games class. more info »
view flyer » view registration form » view photos
- Rehearsals for the 2010 Gaithersburg Inclusive Theatre Company run Tuesdays January 5 thru June 10, 2010.
view registration form » more info »
- See see how your contributions make a difference. ArtStream's 2008-09 Annual Report is now available online. view »
- ArtStream Needs Your Vote! Chase Community Giving is giving away $5 million dollars to local charities. Vote for us on Facebook so that we can be one of the finalists. Be sure to spread the word. Round 1 voting ends on Dec 11th. Thanks!
- Shop for ArtStream November 8th & 10th
November 8 from 2:00 pm to 4:30 pm in Germantown, MD. Please join us for the first annual ArtStream Vendor open house. Get a jump on your holiday shopping with featured items from Pampered Chef, Southern Living, Lia Sophia, Mary Kay and Off the Beaded Path hand Made Jewelry and hand made cards. Part of the proceeds to benefit ArtStream. Contact Nicolette Stearns for directions or if you cannot attend but are interested in buying online.
Nov 10th Lord & Taylor Benefit Bash! A Private Shopping event to benefit ArtStream and other local non-profits. For Only $5 you can purchase a shopping pass that will get you discounts and special offers. All proceeds will go directly to ArtStream. You can pick up your pass at the office or have it mailed to you (Pass valid at White Flint and Chevy Chase locations). For more information, contact Board Secretary Lennie Magida view flier »
- Please join us for ArtStream Community Night at Potomac Pizza in the Gaithersburg Kentlands. Monday (not Friday) December 14th from 4-9 pm. Take your receipt into the restaurant and ArtStream will receive 20% of the proceeds! view flier »
- ArtStream is again part of the 2009 CFCNCA campaign. Federal Employees please designate ArtStream #81181. Thank you!
- Gaithersburg Inclusive Company Auditions will be held Tuesday December 8, 2009 from 7 – 9 pm at the Casey Community Center, 810 S. Frederick Avenue Gaithersburg, MD 20877. Be prepared with a song, poem, story or dance. more info »
- Bank of America Local Heroes Award: On October 28, 2009, Patricia Woolsey will be presented with the Bank of America Local Hero Award, for "individuals who champion causes vital to their communities and inspire others to get involved." She will donate the $5,000 award to ArtStream. Congratulations Patti!
- Leadership Montgomery: Our very own Nicolette Stearns is now a proud member of the Leadership Montgomery 2010 Core Class. Leadership Montgomery’s mission is to engage a diverse group of leaders through programs and membership activities. The resulting knowledge, awareness, and relationships entitle graduates to benefit our community. Congratulations Nicolette!
- KEEN classes for the 2009-2010 season will be offered the third Sunday of each month starting Sunday September 20, 2009, from 3-4 pm at Tilden Middle School.
KEEN registration form » more info »
- Rehearsals for the Silver Spring Inclusive Theatre Company run Tuesdays September 22 thru April 6, 2010 at Round House Education Center.
view registration form » more info »
- 3rd Annual Birthday Party! Come celebrate at our 3rd annual Birthday Bash on Sunday, 9/27 from 2 to 4:30 pm! Dancing, singing, cake, games and a few surprises. For full details, view the evite.
- Auditions for the Silver Spring Inclusive Theatre Company will be held Tuesday, September 15th at 7 p.m. at Round House Education Center. more info »
- Rehearsals for the Arlington Inclusive Theatre Company & Showcase run Thursdays Sep 17, 2009, thru March 18, 2010. more info »
view inclusive company & showcase registration forms
- Job Opportunities Available - Theater educators, Music educators, Assistant Director for Inclusive Companies, Assistants for classes and Volunteers. Send resumes and short summary of interest (why are you interested in ArtStream, type of employment interested in) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Auditions for The Arlington Inclusive Theatre company will be held September 10, 2009 from 7 to 8:30 pm at Mount Olivet United Methodist Church. more info »
- NEW OFFERING: Arlington Inclusive Actors Showcase auditions being held September 10, 2009, from 7 to 8:30 pm. at Mount Olivet United Methodist Church. more info »
- Gaithersburg Inclusive classes run September 15 thru November 17, 2009, at the Casey Community Center. more info »
- Fall Silver Spring Inclusive Theatre Company and Classes coming soon. more company info » more classes info »
- NEW OFFERING at George Mason Univeristy: Acting Techniques Class and Showcase for students in the Mason LIFE program at George Mason University. Classes begin Thursday, September 3rd. more classes info »
- CANCELED: The Roving Muse Summer Program set to begin August 2009 has been canceled.
- Watch Julie "Get Buzzed for a Cause"!
Thanks to everyone who came out to watch actor Julie Bain “Get Buzzed for a Cause” on Thursday, July 16th. She is now bald and beautiful. View photos » Read Bisnow's writeup »
- Buy your “It’s a Wonderful Pie” cookbook now. There are over 100 pie recipes both sweet and savory. They make terrific gifts and 100% of the proceeds support ArtStream and all of its wonderful programs.
$12.50 each or 2 for $20.
view flyer » download the order form »
- Get Buzzed for a Cause - July 16
Join ArtStream and The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society watch actor Julie Bain “Get Buzzed for a Cause” on YouTube. She is challenging all of you to help meet the needs of kids with cancer. Donate to help her shave her head, and help these kids have a better healing experience.
view flyer » throw your own event » learn more »
- Press & Pics from ArtStream's latest production: Read the The Montgomery County Gazette review of the double bill "A Mystery to Me" and "It's a Wonderful Pie!". View photos from A Mystery to Me and It's a Wonderful Pie!.
- ArtStream is excited to partner with Langley Residential Support Services to offer drama and movement classes for adults with intellectual disabilities. more info »
- The Gaithersburg Inclusive Theatre Companies present a double bill of It's a Wonderful Pie! and A Mystery to Me at BlackRock Center for the Arts June 25-28, 2009. view flier » order a DVD of the shows » more info »
- New Photos: View pictures from Knights of Glory performances at Camp Caring and NIH Children's Inn, and view pictures from Paul VI Catholic High School - Options Program's recent production of "First Day Jitters".
- Summer Sampler Classes this July! Specifically designed for older teens and adults with disabilities, each week provides a different artistic experience. Classes will be offered in: Arlington (learn more), Silver Spring (learn more) and Gaithersburg (learn more).
- WANTED: Your Best Pie Recipes! Contribute your favorite pie recipes to our upcoming cookbook fundraiser. Hurry, submissions must be received by May 23rd. view flier »
- All members and guests of ArtStream are eligible for free tickets to the 6th Annual Disabilities Awareness Night June 6th. Check out the Disability Awareness Fair and enjoy watching the Potomac Nationals vs. the Myrtle Beach Pelicans. full details »
- Silver Spring Inclusive Co. Spring 2009 Theater Skills classes begin Tuesday, May 19th, and run for 6 weeks. Register today! view flier » view registration form » more info »
- Knights of Glory Film and Web Project
Announcing an exciting new ArtStream project, made possible with funding from The Deborah Jean Arts in Hospitals and Hospice Program. learn more about Knights of Glory »
- Read the Sun Gazette's review of the Spring 2009 performance of Kickball The Musical!
- The Silver Spring Inclusive Theatre Co. presents "Keep the Studio Rockin'" at Round House Silver Spring May 1-3 and 8-10.
view flier » order a show DVD » more info »
view Keep the Studio Rockin' pictures
- Arlington Inclusive Theatre Co.'s recent performance of "Kickball The Musical!" received a great write-up in the Arlington Connection.
read the review » order a show DVD » learn more »
- “Kickball The Musical” premiered at Gunston Theatre One in Arlington, Virginia, on Thursday March 26.
view "Kickball The Musical!" pictures
- ArtStream presented at a Leadership Fairfax meeting on March 12, 2009. Featured was a PowerPoint presentation, a scene from “Kickball The Musical” and a panel discussion with the actors.
- The Arlington Inclusive Theatre Company performed a scene from its upcoming production of “Kickball The Musical” for the Alhabra founder’s day celebration on February 22, 2009.
Creative Drama classes begin Tue April 21st at Fields Road Elementary and Wed April 22nd at DuFief Elementary. Register today! more info »
- Arlington Inclusive Co. Spring 2009 Acting Techniques classes begin Thursday, April 24th, and run for 10 weeks. Register today!
view flier » view registration form »
- New photos are in the Photo Gallery. Check out great pictures from recent classes in our:
Middle School Programs, Elementary School Programs
CSAAC, and Kids Enjoy Exercise Now (KEEN).
- The next session of Puppet Classes at Katherine Thomas School begins March 20th. Spaces fill up quick, so sign up now!
- ArtStream is now on Twitter, Flickr and YouTube.
- ArtStream's 2007-2008 Annual Report is now available online.
- ArtStream on Montgomery Access TV
ArtStreamers Sally Kinka and Adam McCrensky appeared on Access Montgomery TV's show Studio 501 c-3 (Comcast channel 21) on Wednesday, November 26, 2008, at 7pm and on Saturday, November 29, 2008, at 2:30pm.
- Volunteers supported ArtStream by gift wrapping at Barnes & Noble in Gaithersburg December 15-17, 2008. 100% of the proceeds went to ArtStream!
- ArtStream on WAMU! We were featured on WAMU's 88.5 FM "Metro Connection" on Friday November 7, 2008. The piece focused on ArtStream's Deborah Jean Arts in Hospitals and Hospice program which began its programming at the Children's Inn at NIH.
Listen to the segment: Real Audio Windows Media
Read more: WAMU's website (4th paragraph from the top) and Calendar
- The Combined Federal Campaign of the National Capitol Area has begun. Federal Employees please designate ArtStream #81181 as your charity of choice!
- ArtStream in The Washington Times: ArtStream's Arlington Inclusive Theatre Company was featured in the October 15th issue of The Washington Times.
read the article »
- ArtStreamers Natalie Zanin, Patricia Krauss, and Nicolette Stearns will be acting in The Ghost Story Tour of Washington throughout October 2008. For more info, visit Historic Stroll's website.
- ArtStream Actors in the News
Congratulations to Frank Stephens (Arlington Inclusive Theatre Company) and Russell LeFurgy (Silver Spring Inclusive Theatre Company). Frank's editorial was published recently in the Richmond Times-Dispatch and Russell's work is included in a new book, More Than Little Professors: Children with Asperger Syndrome: In Their Own Words.
- Thank you to The McMeekins for hosting ArtStream's 2nd Annual Birthday Party & Fundraiser on Sunday September 28, 2008. Many thanks also to everyone who came out to support and celebrate ArtStream! view photos »
- ArtStream is now on Facebook. Join the fun.
- We had booths at the Kennedy Center Arts Festival (Sept. 13 from 12-6 pm) and Magical Montgomery in downtown Silver Spring (Sept. 27 from 1-7 pm).
- ArtStream in the news: ArtStreamers Patricia Woolsey and Sarah Miller appeared on the TV show Profiles which aired August 2008 on Fairfax Local TV. The show schedule is on the Potluck/Profiles website. The first airing was Friday August 8, 2008, at 5pm.
- ArtStream partners again with KEEN to offer classes at Tilden Middle School. more info » view registration form »
- ArtStream partners with the S.M.ART program at Glebe Elementary School and the Options Program at Paul VI Catholic High School. more info »
- Bethesda Magazine: Look for the article on co-founder and artist Emilia O'Connor in the September issue of Bethesda Magazine!
- Save the Date! Come celebrate ArtStream’s 2nd birthday fundraiser on Sunday September 28 from 2-4:30 p.m. at the McMeekin family home. view Evite » view flyer »
- The Deborah Jean Arts in Hospitals and Hospice Program will begin offering ArtStream programming to local hospitals this Fall. more info »
- ArtStream moved into our new Bethesda office on July 1st. It is located at 7979 Old Georgetown Road, 10th Floor, Bethesda, MD 20814. We also have new phone and fax numbers. The space is funded through a generous foundation grant from the Jim and Carol Trawick Foundation.
Photos from The Roving Muse 2008 Summer Program are online in the ArtStream Photo Gallery
ArtStream's Gaithersberg Inclusive Theater Company was featured on WUSA Channel 9 News on Thursday June 26, 2008. Read the full article.
ArtStream received the EP Maxwell Schleifer Distinguished Service Award from EP Global Communications, Inc., publisher of Exceptional Parent magazine. ArtStream was honored for advocacy on behalf of people living with disabilities. The award was presented during the pre-game ceremony at the Disabilities Awareness Night at Pfitzner Stadium on June 7, 2008.
- The Curious Quest and Fast Times at the Woolsey High Breakfast Club were presented at the Gaithersburg Arts Barn June 20-29, 2008. view flyer » more info »
- Read The Gazette's review of Mission: Environment. [6th paragraph from top]
- The Silver Spring Inclusive Theater Company premiered Mission: Environment on Friday May 2, 2008. Additional performances were held May 3-4 and 9-11! learn more »
- Dine at "O'Brien's Pit Barbecue" in Rockville on Mon April 28th and help ArtStream. Present this flyer and ArtStream will receive 20% of the check. Be sure to tell your friends! view directions »
- Read the Sun Gazette's review of Trouble at the No-Way Chalet
- The Arlington Inclusive Theater Company premiered Trouble at the No-Way Chalet on Thursday March 6, 2008. Additional performances were held March 7-8 and 13-15! learn more »
- Loads of folks showed up at Ireland's Four Courts in Arlington for our non-profit raffle fundraiser on Wednesday February 28, 2008. Thanks to Danielle Esposti and Erin Buchanan for hosting the fun and very successful event!
- ArtStream celebrated its first year as a non-profit on September 30, 2007 with a party featuring cake and karoake. Special thanks to the McMeekin's for hosting the event! view photos
- Thank you to Casey Hammeke and her family for making Casey's birthday a fundraiser for ArtStream. Thanks to all her friends and family who made donations in her honor!
- ArtStream was featured on WAMU's Community Minute twice daily during September 2007. To hear the segment, visit WAMU's Community Minute Website.
- An article about ArtStream appeared in the Style section of the May 30, 2007, issue of The Washington Post.
- MD Gazette featured an article about ArtStream on May 30, 2007.
- That Thing Called Love! in the news
- ArtStream recognized at the Arlington County Proclamation Ceremony on March 6, 2007, for providing artistic experiences for people with disabilities in Arlington County. The program was held at Rock Bottom Restaurant at Ballston Mall.
- ArtStream hosts a booth at Magical Mongomery in Silver Spring
- Read the latest ArtStream newsletter
- ArtStream presented at the National Association of Drama Therapy Conference: "Places! Taking Our Place: Drama Therapy and Professional Standing". The conference was held August 10-13, 2007, at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ. The title of the presentation was "ArtStream: Birth of a 501(c)(3)" focusing on how the business was created to provide artistic opportunities to individuals in under-served communities. The presenters were Sally Kinka, Laura Purdy, and Patricia Woolsey. For more information, visit http://www.nadt.org.
- Camp Caring was featured in the June 2006 issues of Gazette Magazine. Read the article.
- Past Professional Productions: Press for The Arkansaw Bear
- ‘Arkansaw Bear’ delivers dancing, dreams at Arts Barn - Montgomery County Gazette
- The Arkansaw Bear: Serious Theatre for Kids - ShowBizRadio
ArtStream has been invited to perform at Autism NOW's Washington Regional Summit on Saturday, May 14 at 4:30. We're bringing your favorite inclusive actors, plus performers from the touring puppet show Pursuing the Runes to showcase our company and what is possible when individuals with intellectual disabilities (such as autism) are given the chance to express themselves.
Past Professional Productions
The Arkansaw Bear
The Arkansaw Bear by Aurand Harris was produced by special arrangement with Anchorage Press PLAYS, Louisville, Kentucky, USA.
Press for The Arkansaw Bear...