Self-Advocacy and Public Speaking
ArtStream teaches adults with disabilities to communicate with confidence in fun, interactive sessions based in the arts!
Want to bring ArtStream to your community? Email us at email@example.com.
These innovative workshops are specially designed for adults with various disabilities who want to stand up for themselves. Through body-language and role-play techniques, a trained ArtStream teaching artist will work one-on-one to teach you and your group how to feel comfortable and confident in public and social situations. Self-Advocacy is a skill that many people struggle with, but the ability to make your own choices and stand behind them is vital to every day life.
Past Self-Advocacy Workshops:
- Sunday, May 27th, 2012 with Pals Tours (ArtStream pics start on page 3).
- This workshop featured ArtStream Inclusive Actors helping to teach inclusive theatre.
- Monday, September 5th, 2011 with Pals Tours.
- Wednesday, April 20th, 2011 through the ARC of Montgomery County.
Want to bring Self-Advocacy Workshops to your community? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ArtStream offers public speaking classes designed for adults with disabilities. These unique and thoughtful classes reapply the acting techniques taught in our drama classes to the realm of public speaking.
- Your scene partner is the audience.
- Remember good posture and diction.
- You are playing a character at the podium - a confident character based on you!
In addition to formal speaking, these classes also address the challenges of talking one-on-one with a new acquaintance as well as many other skills that directly apply to every day life. Adults with disabilities have something to say. We believe that training in public speaking can give them the confidence to speak out loud.
Past Public Speaking Classes and Workshops:
- Fall 2012 - Public Speaking Classes in Gaithersburg
Want to bring Public Speaking Classes to your community? Contact us at email@example.com.
ArtStream Co-Founder Nicolette Stearns talks Public Speaking and Self-Advocacy with Comcast Newsmakers.
This segment was produced as part of Comcast's in-kind media sponsorship of ArtStream's 3rd Annual Gala. It aired in November 2012.